Prof. Nathalie Q. Balaban
Head of laboratory
- 1989-1991: B. Sc.: Mathematics and Physics, Amirim Honors program Hebrew University, Israel
- 1991-1992: M. Sc.: Condensed Matter Physics, Weizmann Institute, Israel.
- 1993-1999: Ph. D.: Condensed Matter Physics, Weizmann Institute, Israel.
- 1999-2000: Post doctorate fellow: Cell Biology, Weizmann Institute, Israel.
- 2000-2001: Dicke fellow, Physics, Princeton University, USA.
- 2001-2003: Post-doctoral fellow, Center for Physics and Biology, Rockefeller University, USA.
2.Appointment at the Hebrew University
- 2003-2009: Senior Lecturer, Physics Department; Biological Physics
- 2009-2016 : Associate Professor, Physics Department; Biological Physics
- 2016- : Full Professor, Physics Department; Biological Physics
3. Additional Functions/Tasks at the Hebrew University
- Head of the Amirim Honors program (2014- )
- Co-initiator of the „Teachers-Researcher“ program for improving science teaching in high schools.
4.Honors and awards:
- 1989 Dean award, B.Sc 1st year, Hebrew University
- 1990 Dean award, B. Sc, 2nd year Hebrew University
- 1993 Feinberg Graduate School Excellency Award, M. Sc., Weizmann Institute
- 2000 Dicke fellowship – Physics department, Princeton University
- 2003 Fellow of the Horowitz Center for Complexity Science
- 2009 Krill Prize for Excellence in Science from the Wolf Foundation
- 2010 ERC Starting Grant
- 2011- The Joseph and Sadie Danciger Chair in Physics
- 2015 ERC Consolidator Grant
- 2016 Klachky Prize for the Advancement of the Frontiers of Science
- 2016 Elected member of the European Academy of Microbiology (EAM)
- Balaban, N.Q., U.S. Schwarz, and B. Geiger, Measurement of cellular contractile forces using patterned elastomer. in Cell Biology: A Laboratory Handbook 3ED Ed. Julio Celis, 2005.
- Balaban N. Q. Bacterial Persistence in Bacterial Stress Responses 2ED Ed. G.Storz&R. Hengge (2010) ASM press, USA
- Levin Reisman I.(S) and Balaban N.Q.(PI) Quantitative measurements of the lag phase Methods in Molecular Biology, (2016) Humana Press, USA