Prof. Nathalie Q. Balaban
Head of laboratory
- 1989-1991: B. Sc.: Mathematics and Physics,cum laude, Amirim Honors program Hebrew University, Israel
- 1991-1992: M. Sc.: Condensed Matter Physics, cum laude, Weizmann Institute, Israel.
- 1993-1999: Ph. D.: Condensed Matter Physics, Weizmann Institute, Israel.
- 1999-2000: Post doctorate fellow: Cell Biology, Weizmann Institute, Israel.
- 2000-2001: Dicke fellow, Physics, Princeton University, USA.
- 2001-2003: Post-doctoral fellow, Center for Physics and Biology, Rockefeller University, USA.
2.Appointment at the Hebrew University
- 2003-2009: Senior Lecturer, Physics Department; Biological Physics
- 2009-2016 : Associate Professor, Physics Department; Biological Physics
- 2016- : Full Professor, Physics Department; Biological Physics
3. Additional Functions/Tasks at the Hebrew University
- Head of the Amirim Honors program (2014- 2017)
- Co-initiator of the „Scholar-Teacher“ program for improving science teaching in high schools.
- Head of the search committee (2018-2020)
4.Honors and awards:
- 1989 Dean award, B.Sc 1st year, Hebrew University
- 1990 Dean award, B. Sc, 2nd year Hebrew University
- 1993 Feinberg Graduate School Excellency Award, M. Sc., Weizmann Institute
- 2000 Dicke fellowship – Physics department, Princeton University
- 2003 Fellow of the Horowitz Center for Complexity Science
- 2009 Krill Prize for Excellence in Science from the Wolf Foundation
- 2010 ERC Starting Grant
- 2011- The Joseph and Sadie Danciger Chair in Physics
- 2015 ERC Consolidator Grant
- 2016 Klachky Prize for the Advancement of the Frontiers of Science
- 2016 Elected member of the European Academy of Microbiology (EAM)
- 2018 Elected Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology (AAM)
- 2021 EMBO - Elected Member
- Kaplan Y., Reich S., Oster E., Maoz S., Levin-Resiman I., Ronin I., Gefen O., Agam O. and Balaban N.Q., Observation of universal ageing dynamics in antibiotic persistence. Nature 600, 290–294 (2021).
- Liu, J., Gefen, O., Ronin, I., Bar-Meir, M. & Balaban, N. Q. Effect of tolerance on the evolution of antibiotic resistance under drug combinations. Science 367, 200-204 (2020).
- Mosheiff, N. et al. Inheritance of Cell-Cycle Duration in the Presence of Periodic Forcing. Phys Rev X 8 (2018).
- Levin-Reisman, I., Ronin, I., Gefen, O., Braniss, I., Shoresh, N., and Balaban, N.Q. . Antibiotic tolerance facilitates the evolution of resistance. Science 355, 826-830 (2017).
- Sandler, O., Mizrahi, S.P., Weiss, N., Agam, O., Simon, I., and Balaban, N.Q. Lineage correlations of single cell division time as a probe of cell-cycle dynamics. Nature 519, 468-471 (2015).
- Fridman, O., Goldberg, A., Ronin, I., Shoresh, N. & Balaban, N. Q. Optimization of lag time underlies antibiotic tolerance in evolved bacterial populations. Nature 513, 418-421 (2014).